Friday, March 14, 2014

ASK JOEY: Having The RIGHT Photos In Your Book

Whether you are modeling for fashion or in the commercial market, you need to make sure your portfolio has the right types of pictures to represent you and your niche. If you know you have a commercial look or don't have the height for fashion, it's important to have a few commercial head shots in your book. If you do tend to book a lot of high fashion work, it also never hurts to have a few close up beauty shots in your portfolio as well. You want to make sure you have a realistic outlook on the types of jobs you can book and that those looks are reflected. If you don't have an agent, and are setting up meetings, being self-aware and realistic will only make you that much more appealing as a potential client.

LYRIC JONES
I'm brand new to the business but am very interested in getting into runway. Do you have any advice on how to tackle that?

You're too short for runway, but you definitely have a good look. You could be a little too edgy for commercial print, but with the right brand, you could be a perfect fit. Definitely consider acting, if you aren't pursuing that already. It could open a lot of doors for you, and you're definitely in the right place for it. Start with a commercial acting class and go from there.
HOLLY GLASSER
I'm a 5'2' petite model in NYC trying to break into fashion. I have seen it can be done in a few cases. What would your recommendations be for a petite model. I'm currently freelancing with MSA Models.
I know there are exceptions to the rule, but maybe at 5'6", definitely not at 5'2". You have  a really good book already - lots of great photos - and a commercial look. Your profile says you act and sing, so maybe you need a new agent? There are lots in NYC, and many of them would love to work with someone who is multi-talented. Set up some meetings and see what happens! 
KELLY22
If you have some time to go over my portfolio and let me know what you think, I would really appreciate it.
You have a great commercial look - I really like it, but you need to add some more pictures with different outfits. Try reaching out to some photographers on MWN to see if they would be interested in shooting a few commercial head shots with you, or set up an appointment with a local headshot photographer. You live in NYC, so when you have a few new shots, set up meetings with some commercial agents and go from there. 
MONIQSECRETS
I'm an aspiring model currently residing in Atlanta, GA. It has always ben my dream to be a fashion model. I was hoping you could give me some advice on my portfolio. These are the best pictures I have so far. Please let me know if I need to try a different approach.
You have the height for fashion, and I like your look. Have you seen agents in Atlanta? A lot of film and TV work is happening down there that you could get involved in. You could use more pictures in your book, but get an agent before you spend any money on photos. They can give you direction on what types of shots will best help them find work for you, whether it be print, commercial, or film/TV, and even recommend photographers in the area.


In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment