Wednesday, February 12, 2014

ASK JOEY: Ask Your Agent For Referrals

If you have an agent and are looking to break into a new market, you've got an excellent resource available to you. Most bigger agencies have branch offices in major markets they can introduce you to. Smaller agencies may not have more than one location, but they might be able to refer you to another agency they've worked with. It's always a good idea to ask your reps first, before trying to make your own contacts in a new location. You never want to ruffle any feathers! Just starting out and don't have an agent? Try to meet with people in your local market (or the nearest major market) to get you going. Once they feel you're ready for a larger market, they can refer you just the same.

JACOB HUNTER
If you have time to look over my portfolio, I'd appreciate it. Any advice would be great.

I like your look. You're definitely a TV/Commercial type model. Your profile says you are with Wilhelmina in Philadelphia. Let them make an introduction with their NYC office for you. They will tell you if they think you're right for that market. If so, go for it! You're close enough to make it work.

CHOCOLATE HOLLYWOOD
I know I have a different look, I'm feminine, but I don't want to come off "drag queeny." Can you take a look at some of my photos and give me some feedback?
If you don't, as you say, want to come across like a drag queen, you need to get new pictures. I would suggest getting groomed - check out other male models with long hair if you don't want to cut it - so you'll look more masculine. Look at men's fashion ads that interest you for inspiration in looks you can incorporate into a new shoot. You can reach out to photographers on MWN who may be interested in working with you to get some new images in your portfolio.

BRIAN DUVAL
I'm an up-and-coming model that is just starting out. I was curious if you have any ideas how to get started and getting exposure.
You need to have more than one picture! Add some more to your portfolio and then make the rounds to see some local agents. Starting locally is the best way for you to get going, considering where you live. Most agencies are not going to want to meet with you if you only submit one photo, so definitely add a bit to your book before reaching out.

A. RAZAZI
I have been acting and modeling for some time, however I am ready to pursue my career full time. I am obtaining my degree in theatre and I have always had a passion for the modeling business as well as the acting business. I am currently in Seattle, WA and I have a theatrical and TV/commercial agent. I would love to venture to LA or NY. If you could please look over my portfolio, I would really appreciate any advice you have to better my craft.
You have a TV/Commercial look and you're an actor. That's a great place to start. You are a model, you're just not a fashion model. Let your agency in Seattle set you up in LA with agents that they work with. This will help you expand your market. If they don't have branches in LA, they should have referrals. I would start with LA first (since it's closer) before branching out to NY. There's a lot of commercial work there, and you already have a great look and training to get you started.
In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter

*Have a question for me? Ask away at my ModelWire Network Profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment