Friday, January 3, 2014

ASK JOEY: What Are Your Resolutions?

At the beginning of the year, many of us find a renewed sense of passion in doing everything possible to further our careers. Many agents shuffle around - they move agencies and/or branch out on their own - so it's a great time to try to get meetings if you are non-repped. For many of you, the new year is an ideal time to REALLY consider taking the plunge and getting to a bigger market. If you are serious about pursuing your career in fashion and/or commercial TV/print, you need to be where the jobs are. It's as simple as that.

VIKTORIA KOTOVA
I would like you to look over my portfolio and tell me what you think about it. I'd appreciate any feedback or advice. Thank you!

You have a nice look and a good start to your portfolio. You need to get to a major market, so take some time to try to get to LA or NYC. Once you get there, get out and meet with as many agents as possible. You already have enough pictures in your book for them to make their decision. It will be up to them to say yes or no, but you should definitely go for it! 
SHARONA MARIA
I would love your input. I'm sure you hear this everyday, but this is my passion. Modeling has come easy, so I've been enjoying every minute, but want to break into a bigger level. Let me know if you have any advice.
You have a great TV and commercial look. You're in San Diego - SO close to LA - so make a trip up there to see some commercial agents. With an agent and a few acting classes (if you haven't taken them already) you should be well on your way. I'm sure there are plenty of good acting classes in San Diego, but definitely try to meet with LA agents. It's not too far of a drive for any TV, print or commercial auditions that they can get you.
QUOIA
I would LOVE for you to look over my portfolio and tell me what you think. I know I have what it takes to make it big, but I'd appreciate if you could provide some advice/feedback.
You have all the right sizes and live in NYC - a great start! You have enough pictures in your portfolio to meet with agents, so try to get some appointments. See if they say yes or no. If they take you on, they will get you additional photos so they can better represent you. Most all of the agents in NYC have open calls, so if you aren't able to schedule meetings, DEFINITELY get into as many open calls as you can until you find the right fit!
ALEXA ROSE
Would you be willing to look at my profile and tell me what you think? I love modeling, but would really value your opinion as to whether or not I have what it takes to do well in this industry and, if so, what type of work would you suggest I pursue?
Fashion is not where it's at for you - you have a very commercial look. If you don't want to pursue acting, then unfortunately, you will be just another pretty face in the world of commercial print. Pursuing acting, whether just commercials or TV, in addition to commercial print will open up more opportunities for you. You're also in a limited market, so if you really want to pursue this, you'll have to go where the jobs are. Your best bets starting out in the Pacific Northwest will be Seattle, Portland, and/or Vancouver. I would also suggest adding some more "perky" photos to your portfolio. You look a bit serious, and sometimes sad, in your photos, so some commercial type shots will definitely help!
BRITTANY GRIMMET
I was wondering if you could check out my portfolio. I've been reading your blog and am very interested in getting your feedback, criticism, and if there is anything I need to work on. I have a non-exclusive agency, but unfortunately, they have not really helped much. I know I have a commercial look and am interested in doing commercial/print but was curious about how to get in with brands like Guess, Hurley, or even boutiques.
You are very pretty, and you're right, you do have a commercial look. Get yourself to LA and get an agent! You will need an agent to meet all of the clients you've mentioned. It will be next to impossible to meet them on your own. LA would be a great market for you. Definitely take some acting classes too. I like your look a lot, and definitely think commercials and TV are right for you. Get an agent, and you'll get work!
In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter

*Have a question for me? Ask away at my ModelWire Network Profile.





Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment