Thursday, November 14, 2013

ASK JOEY: Where Do I Start?

When you are getting started and looking to build your portfolio, resources like ModelWire Network can become invaluable. When you need to take new photos, but don't have/want to spend a lot of money, reach out to photographers in your area to see if they will work with you for trade! If you're not getting clear feedback from agents, try getting into acting class and expanding your horizons. And if you're not in a major market, try your best to make a plan to get to one. It's harder to make big dreams come true in a small town that doesn't have many opportunities. If modeling and entertainment your passion, and you can't imagine doing anything else, you have to go where the jobs are. It's as simple as that.

SHAWN LEE
I am very interested in furthering my career in the modeling industry and would appreciate any guidance you may have. I'd love for you to review my portfolio.

You have a look for fashion and your book is fashion, but unfortunately you don't have the height. Your best bet at pursuing a modeling career will be by going commercial, otherwise you are spinning your wheels. 
JENNA
I auditioned for you in Pittsburgh through Barbizon Modeling Agency. You picked me to go through to Washington, DC, however I was unable to go for financial reasons. I have been an aspiring model for years now and am doing all I can to put myself out there. I found you to be a real inspiration and would really appreciate it if you would take a look at my MWN photos. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
I still like your look and the pictures you have on your profile. You didn't list your sizes, particularly your height. If you aren't 5'9" or taller (for fashion), you have a great commercial look. Get yourself to a major market and I'm sure you will have no trouble finding an agent who wants to work with you.
ARIEL 
I actually have a few questions... How can I find information related to Fashion Week go sees? Do you have any pointers as to how to gain representation from larger agencies? Is it appropriate to contact designers and ad agencies in an effort to obtain work? And yes, I would love for you to review my pictures. Thank you so much!
I like your look but you live in the middle of nowhere (in terms of market). You need to get to a major market so you can meet with agents. I think it's alright for you to contact whoever you can to obtain work. It's great to have drive and clients love that. As far as material related to Fashion Week for models, it's the agents jobs to get their clients out on go sees. In Florida, I would start with Miami as far as finding an agent and then work your way up to NY. You may be able to find an agent in Miami who has offices or connections in NY and can rep you in both locations.
KATE MARIE
I have been pursuing modeling for a little while now. I have people in my life who say I have what it takes, but I cannot land one job despite having applied to dozens of agencies. The only agency I have had any lucky with is PUSH Models and I still cannot get any work with them. If you have time, could you look at my portfolio? I know I may get answers I don't want to hear, but at least you'll be honest. So far no one has told me what is so terribly wrong and why I'm not booking. If it's my look, that's unfortunate, but I am willing to do what it takes to change it. If it's my experience, how can I go about getting the appropriate gigs to build my resume? I feel totally stuck.
Your look is definitely very commercial, but all of the photos in your book look pretty much the same. There isn't much life in the pictures and they aren't really fashion OR commercial. I would suggest getting into a commercial acting class to start. You are a pretty young woman who could work commercially. Definitely try acting, and get some more commercial shots for your portfolio. 

In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter

*Have a question for me? Ask away at my ModelWire Network Profile.




Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment