Thursday, November 7, 2013

ASK JOEY: It's A Woman's World

I think we can all agree that female models rule the modeling world. For guys, work is harder to come by and typically doesn't pay as much. For this reason, the male models out there will definitely want to look into commercial work, as well as fashion. Make sure that your portfolio has commercial shots and even add a few pictures with women in them as well. Chances are, you'll be booked for work where you're posing with other models anyway, so you might as well prove you've got a knack for it. Having the commercial diversity is especially important for men when your sizes are not typical fashion sizes. Because there are fewer opportunities for men in fashion modeling, sizes become infinitely more important. Opportunities are out there, but guys, you'll have to work even harder if you want to seize them!

RAIHAN BAQUI
I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I really want to model but have been turned down by plenty of agencies because of my height. I'm 5'8" and have been told I have too much of a commercial look. Is there anything you'd recommend for a guy like me to still try to pursue a career in modeling?

You live in the Los Angeles area, so acting and commercials are definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, you are too short for high fashion. But, you are good looking and definitely have the chance to model commercially. Get into acting class, work hard and you can book. You'll notice a lot of print ads feature actors nowadays, so you never know what can happen if you approach it from that angle.

EMMANUEL JEAN JOSEPH
I'm interested in commercial print. How should I get into it?
Definitely get yourself some more pictures and get into an acting class. Make appointments to go see agents. New York is the place to be, and you're lucky enough to live there already. You have a great look and can definitely work commercially, so I would suggest starting with commercial acting classes. A lot of projects book the same talent for both the print and commercial spots, so auditioning for commercials will definitely help you out.
FREDERIC
I love high fashion modeling but my main strength and passion is in commercial print. I was wondering what your professional and personal opinion of my portfolio is. All of my pictures from my book aren't up on my MWN profile, but some are. Thoughts or suggestions?
To be honest, you look a bit bored in the pictures you have up on your MWN profile. To work commercially, you'll need some new shots that have more life to them... more energy. I would also suggest, for a little more diversity in your book, to get some shots posing with a female model as well. You're in LA so there will be members on MWN who you can collaborate with for trade, if you don't want to pay to get new shots taken. Try posting a project or connecting with photographers and models through the site to see what happens! Having that variety in your portfolio will definitely help when looking for commercial print work.
MICHAEL MARRIO
I have a serious question to ask as far as race in the modeling industry is concerned. I would like to think I have a unique look and am obviously considered "black." However, when visiting agencies and speaking to professionals in the past, they have had a hard time placing me and my look. Not to mention, I don't know yet if I'm better suited for commercial work rather than fashion, but I do feel I have a high fashion look. Apparently I don't look black enough or I appear somewhat ambiguous depending on the lighting, concept, and/or photographer. I was told that agencies and clients hate when they can't put you in a specific category or box. I would imagine this would be very important. I find it troubling that there isn't much work out there for guys like me to start with, but I'm still optimistic and proactive. What would be your take on this since you've been in the industry for some time. What market do you think I'm right for?
You are right, it is hard to fit you in a box so look for an agent with some creative ideas. It has always been a tough business for men. Fortunately, mixed-race/ethnically ambiguous females are hot right now, which will hopefully translate even more for men as well. I like your look, and it's very "in" at this time. You just haven't found the right agent yet. I definitely agree that fashion is for you, so try to meet with as many agents as you can until you find the right fit. You'll find it - just give it a little time!
KODIAK
I recently moved back to the Bay area and am trying to figure out how to get my head in the game. I have no experience or references. What should I do/where should I start?
Before you invest in pictures, take what you have and make appointments to see some agents in San Francisco. I like your look and you should be able to find someone who wants to work with you. They'll tell you what kind of photos they want you to take. From there, they can recommend photographers, or you can reach out to some on MWN to shoot with. If you are concerned that you don't have enough pictures to get a meeting, you can try with some good, clean, digital polaroids, however most agencies will take them for you when you come in.
In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter

*Have a question for me? Ask away at my ModelWire Network Profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment