Friday, February 24, 2012

To retouch or not to retouch, that is the question

When it comes to retouching your photos, I always suggest keeping things natural.  Why?  Because when a client sees you in person, they're going to expect you to look like what you look like in your photos.  Unless you have a retoucher that travels you, you should probably keep things as natural as possible.  Don't go Photoshop crazy on your portfolio, it will only hurt you.  It's those little quirks that make you unique and will ultimately determine whether or not you land the job.

LAUREN CHRISTINE
Thank you for the friend request.  When you have a moment please take a look at my portfolio of pictures.  I'd like to get your advice on which ones you think are stellar before I have them retouched.  I just finished this shoot so I have a lot more to choose from as well.  Thank you!

Don't retouch at all.  Natural photos are better.  Also, you have two different looks going on .  It's confusing.  Choose a look and stick to it.  Get rid of the wigs.  I like the real look a lot more.  There is more work for that look. 
COURTNEY B PINCUS
Thank you so much for answering my question.  Do you see potential in my pictures?  Of course I'm too short for runway, but I would really appreciate a professional opinion.  I seem to only be getting responses from scam agencies. 

You have a great look.  It's definitely a commercial print and TV type of look. The problem is that actors are all competing for the type of work you're right for.  They have the edge because they know how to act.  I would suggest taking some acting classes and going out for auditions.  You live in New York City - it's all there. 
MATTHEW THOMAS WARD
I'm just getting started in the modeling/acting thing.  My "port"is from my first session which mostly focused on an "All-American dad" and "corporate" look (this is what my agent wanted).  So we'll see what comes out of it.  I am a single dad, so that should be an easy look for me.  I would like to do something more artsy and classic.  Maybe a little sexy, but nothing over-the-top.  I'm in great shape these days.  I'm just a little confused about what I should be focusing on and what a realistic goal should be for someone like me.  I figure you'd be the guy who would know!

You have to go with the look that you're comfortable with and the one you see when you look in the mirror.  If the casting people see you differently, let them book you and make you over the way they see you.  The industry is about being yourself and what you're comfortable with.  That's what will get you jobs.
BETHANY S
I recently emailed The Rex Agency and Jed Root inquiring about representation.  I sent my resume and my online portfolio.  Both responded that they weren't looking for new artists to represent but if I was interested in testing or assisting.  Is this a good response from an agency?

Bethany, yes - that's a GREAT response.  They must love your work.  You should definitely take advantage of this situation and work with them.  Remember, build relationships and they'll constantly want to work with you.  You have to start somewhere and this is an excellent place to start.
JUSTIN MYNEAR
My biggest question that I've wanted answered for some time is how does a model get from the beginner spot to being a full fledged model.  I would love to get some print work under my belt and I also think I'm ready for it.  Feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

I like your photos, but they are all the same.  I'd suggest putting some clothes on and trying out different looks.  Your photos will predict what kind of jobs you get and the type of agents that will go for you.  I guess the next step is to decide where you want to be in this business.
In the meantime,

Have a successful day!
JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter


 

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment