Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Meet Our Featured Members for November 2011

This month brings some of our members we were fortunate to work with for our ModelWire Network photo shoot!  We are so lucky to have such talented members and we can't wait to show you guys our new homepage that we'll debut in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, get to know some of them.  As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach us at support@modelwirenetwork.com.  Have a great November!

Model of the Month:  Parker York Smith




What inspires you?
What inspires me is the level of creativity people are able to compile into a snapshot.  I'm always seeing different pictures, whether of guys, girls or both, and they have some very basic element that totally sets them apart.  I'm constantly striving for that element.  A lot of people can be pretty in a photo and look good in a suit, but having that special something that inspires people to stop and look at your picture for those extra 3-5 seconds is what it's all about.
What product can you not live without?
This is an easy one.  My military green Nixon Rubber Re-Run watch.  I literally live in the thing.  The only time it comes off is when I shower so that I don't have to worry about it getting soap stains.  I eat, work and sleep in this watch.  I'm at peace with the fact that I'm always going to have a watch tan line because it's worth it to me.  It's a constant fixture in my outfits, regardless of whether it matches or not.  
What is your favorite project that you've worked on?
My favorite project was a very recent shoot I did in the desert outside of Las Vegas.  It was for a local boutique and the styling was so dead-on with my own personal taste that it was like I had hand selected the clothes myself.  Not to mention, the photographer did an amazing job at scouting locations and turned out to get some awesome images.  We shot for almost 5 straight hours and it flew by like nothing.  That's when you know a shoot is going to turn out great.
What is your personal style?
My personal style has always been tough for me to nail down.  It changes on an almost daily basis, but I think the overall idea behind it is one of comfort meets confusion.  I like to blend different elements of certain styles into one hybrid of my own.  For instance, you may see me wearing Jordans, skinny Levi's and a short sleeve shirt button up with a bow tie one day and then my vintage Vietnam issue boots with khakis and a v-neck tee the next.  It depends on two things usually - the weather and my mood.
What is your favorite band/song of all time?
This question is completely impossible, so I'm going to break it down a bit.  If we're talking classics, The Doors when it comes to band and Hey Jude when it comes to a song.  New school stuff would be a toss up between Robin Thicke and The Black Keys and the one song I could listen to 50 times a day - 'Nothin but a G-Thang'. 


Photographer of the Month:  Benjo



Why photography?
I really don't know.  I began with it as a favorite hobby 1.5 years ago while taking pictures and portraits on the streets and ended up falling in love with what I was doing - the ability to actually capture 125th of a sec and share it with the world.
What is your personal style?
I haven’t quite figured it out yet, but recently I’ve been told that it's going to two different directions. One is really edgy, dark, moody and dramatic. The other one is really clean and simple. Personally I just love what is beautiful and it doesn't really have to make sense;  for now I am just enjoying the ride.
What kind of camera or equipment do you use?
Recently I purchased the Canon 5D Mark II because of the video ability and I LOVE it!  Besides that, I’m sticking with film medium/large format. Shooting my models with the medium format when using Mamyia RZ67 110mm lens and the large format 4X5 on my old school camera. My favorite films are Kodak TriX for B&W and Kodak Portra 160 NC for color and doing E6 cross process. I'm addicted to creating something unpredictable for people, but only I know what is in the film for the reason that I have a clear vision about it. Lighting wise? EVERYTHING. Non expensive lights, off camera flash, reflectors, white panels, most of the time it is specular but eventually the sun is the winner. I’m addicted to light so it's pretty random, depends what I want to reach in my photos.
What inspires you?
Beauty, nature, Europe (art and culture).
Do you have any advice for the members of MWN?
Surround yourself with positive industry people that understand what is going on behind your forehead and deep in your lungs. You are all artists and each of you guys have a brilliant creative brain to share with each other. Find your genre and run with it with your people or by yourself. Learn from mistakes and be able to admit when you're making mistakes. I'm grateful for all the people that I met and that I haven't met yet during my endless journey.


Wardrobe Sylist of the Month:  Sallie LeBlanc




Why wardrobe stylist?
I have always loved fashion from the time I was a little girl. I started sewing young, but realized it was not the part of fashion I enjoyed. As a teen I had stacks upon stacks of fashion magazines, not realizing that dressing those models could be an actual job. 
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
I love to work with models who enjoy their jobs. If the model doesn't want to be there, you will know quickly. Unfortunately many times it will show up in the photos as well. The best models are passionate about what they do, flexible, as well as professional.
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
Well the one for ModelWire Network of course!
What is your personal style?
Strangely enough, I hate to dress myself. I am only 5' tall and tiny, so clothes rarely fit me right off the rack. So if you looked at me, you would never say, 'Wow that girl is so stylish!' In fact, you would probably even wonder how I was even in the fashion business. My personal style would be classic and simple. I am the type of girl who would prefer to have one piece of really expensive jewelry, rather than a ton of cheap bangles. Quality over quantity.
What genre does your work focus on?
Because I live in Dallas, it is commercial, but I would really like to change that standard. Besides styling, I own my own photography production company called Visual Advantages, LLC where I produce shoots, as well as style. Our goal is to help put Dallas, TX on the map as a "go to" destination for high-end photography. My hope is my company will become the #1 source for any fashion photography in Texas and beyond. Big goals, but I take it one day at a time.

Makeup Artist of the Month:  Dari A. So


Why makeup artist?
I've always loved the power of transformation. Makeup to me is an equalizer and can transform anyone into anything imaginable! 
Who is your favorite makeup artist of all time?
Kabuki. I had the pleasure to see him showcase his artistry earlier this year through MAC's Master Class. His incomparable creativity along with his precise technique of makeup application continues to leave me in awe.

What is your favorite project you have worked on?
My most recent favorite project was a collaboration with ModelWire Network and a group of amazingly talented MWN members: photographer Fitz Carlile, hairstylist David Harrington, wardrobe stylist Sallie LeBlanc, jewelry designer Jenny Dayco and models: Michaela Rances, Stacey Woods, David Namminga and Parker York Smith. We shot at the very cool Salvage Bar & Lounge in Downtown Los Angeles with 4 models, 3 hair, makeup & wardrobe changes along with 4 photography setups. It was an incredibly well planned & executed project -- we all had a great time!

What product can you not live without?
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, MAC Face & Body Foundation and MAC Fluidline Eyeliner in Blacktrack are staples for me.
What is your favorite band or song of all time?
I’ve been in love with Robert Smith of The Cure for as long as I can remember. There's something about that messy black hair, intense black eyeliner and nonchalantly applied red lips that still magnetizes me!

Hairstylist of the Month:  
Diana Lomelin 



Why hair styling?
I chose to make this a career because since I was 5 years old I knew I wanted to design and be part of the fashion industry. I also loved art since a very young age. Hair styling has become my form of art! I've always been an artist. I started painting since I was young and hairstyling has allowed me to do both. I get to be part of the fashion world that I've always been so fascinated by and so in love with and I get to express my creativity every day. This is more than just a career, it’s also my passion, my hobby and my biggest love!
What product can you not live without?
I cannot live without my Paul Mitchell Super Skinny. In my opinion is the best product ever made! It has so many purposes and it lasts forever.  I always have it in my kit and I recommend it to my clients, friends, students, family, everybody.
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
My favorite project has to be New York Fashion Week. Not only is New York my favorite city in the entire planet, but it’s a place full of great people to work with and full of opportunities! I had so much fun and it was a great accomplishment for me as well as an amazing experience.
What genre does your work focus on?
My work mainly, but is not limited to, focuses on 'editorial high fashion avant garde' work. However, I work on everything and love being part of any set! But I admit that when I get to use my creativity is when I have the most fun!

Do you have any advice for the members of MWN?
The only advice that I have is that always always stay positive and humble. To remember that everyone that works around you loves their job as much as you do and to never forget that everyone started with a passion. Remember to work hard because in this industry hard work is bound to pay off, so never give up on this amazing dream that I get to live every single day.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment