Monday, November 7, 2011

Ask Joey: Do Your Research

Last week I talked about how some agencies claim they are the real deal, but some of them are not and are actually scams. Well, it would appear that I need to stress that topic a bit more.


If an agency is really interested in working with you, they should not be charging you anything before they sign you even for a test shoot. If they like you, they will get you the shoot for free so they can dictate the direction of the shoot - hence the big reason they will not allow you to find your own team.

Again DO YOUR RESEARCH before you sign with anyone! At bare minimum, Google them to see what articles pop up. Just because you want an agent, does not mean you need to settle, it could hurt your career. Find someone who believes in you and make sure they are a respected agency.
  
Do you know anything about MMG-Model and Talent Management? They have had successful clients, but are also recommending me to expensive photographers. Is $1000 reasonable for 4 looks in a shoot for my portfolio/headshots? Also, is it a scam to pay to be on their website/in their directory? They said it's not necessary but it is how most castings find their clients.

I have heard of MMG to require potential models to pay over $1,000 for pictures, which is outrageous. If an agency is interested in working with you they will get you a free test with a photographer that they normally work with. Before you move further with them you should also check these articles I found online: http://bityurl.com/ab70 and http://bityurl.com/ac74b5
 As for them charging you to be on their website – that is very normal. Agencies are going to charge you because that is how they can promote you. Why do you think that most legitimate agencies use our parent site, ModelWire? It is the premiere software that allows the agencies to properly promote their models. If they don’t put you on their website then you need to ask them, ‘How are you promoting me?’


I don’t have much experience in modeling but love to model. I was wondering if you had any advice on getting more gigs? Also, can you look at my portfolio? Any other advice would be great.

I am having a hard time giving you any advice. You only have one photo in your portfolio and to be frank, I don’t like it. You look more commercial than fashion, so start finding yourself some photographers, makeup artists and hairstylists on MWN and work on putting together a commercial portfolio.

I will be 42 yrs old this month and FINALLY decided to pursue my life's dream of modeling and acting. I have gotten my feet wet with some work as an "extra" on TV shows being shot here in Miami. I have also been to numerous castings for commercials, but no call-backs yet. My real aspiration is to do print work. What advice can you give someone like me that is starting out at a "late" age? Also, would you be so kind to review my portfolio and let me know what I can improve on.

It is a good thing that you live in Miami, that market loves working with new people. I really like your portfolio and I think it is good enough for you to pursue representation. The only advice I have for you is to be patient. It can take a while before your career really takes off and getting into this business as your age is hard to make it successful, as you are competing with other models who have been doing this their entire lives. Continue to test when you can and more importantly have fun!

I would like to ask if you could review my portfolio and if you have any advice you could give a male model?

First off, you are too short for fashion, but you do have a great look for a commercial print modeling. There are a few good agencies in Phoenix, AZ and I think your portfolio is good enough to start reaching out to them. Start making yourself some appointments and get their opinions on what they feel your potential is.

In the meantime,


Have a successful day!

JOEY


Follow me @thejoeyhunter


*Have a question for me? Ask away on my ModelWire Network profile http://www.modelwirenetwork.com/joeyhunter

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment