Monday, October 3, 2011

Casa Por Vida by Romi Klinger


Perhaps best known for her role on Showtime's "The Real L Word," Romi Klinger is now branching out with the launch of her successful jewelry line Casa Por Vida.  Born in Los Angeles and raised in Pasadena, Romi learned early in life to embrace the cultural abundance and the diversity around her. Casa Por Vida, Romi's second jewelry collection, pays homage to the Mexican culture and heritage close to Romi's heart.  A portion of the proceeds of each piece sold will be donated to various charities supporting the Mexican communities both domestically and internationally.  Her fashion blog, Tenderomi, is also a must-see as she gives insight to two of her favorite passions - jewelry and fashion.

Where did Casa Por Vida come from?
My dad!  Family.  Family is the core of who we are and the strength behind who we can become.  My vision for Casa Por Vida is to let every piece speak to each person holding it, embracing this special piece for life.  Por Vida.  Each piece can personify a moment, a chapter, a story in your life.  My inspiration for Casa Por Vida was born from my father's side of the family - The Garcias.  After my father passed away from cancer 4 years ago, I wanted to find a way to embrace the Mexican heritage, the customs and traditions and to learn more about my roots - my family.  It would be my devotion to him, to keep him close to my heart and it would be the strength and inspiration which he gives to me that has made this line possible.  
What is your creative process when designing for Casa Por Vida? 
Inspired by my Mexican heritage, I used the colors and tiles from homes in Mexico.  I was inspired by Gypsys and Frida.  I wanted it to have that feel and look.  Casa is designed to be layered.  Each piece is named after a family member and has special meaning to me.  
What has the feedback been about your new line?
Everyone has been loving it.  Some pieces are more forward than others and takes the right girl to feel confident wearing them.  They are not just simple necklaces and bracelets.  The colors may stand out and how to wear it may be confusing.  For the right girl looking to use her jewelry as a statement piece, Casa is perfect!
What inspires you?
Edie Sedgwick.  She was so beautiful and free and open to life.  She was a trend starter.  She battled some hard things but made everything look so beautiful and used her beauty and fashion sense to become EDIE.
Who are your big influences?
My dad and my mom.  Sounds cheesy, but they really are.  My dad and his Mexican culture is what inspires my line and my life.  My mother's strength is what makes me and my line feel strong.  I do what I love and I stand by what I represent.  I don't let others bring me down and I keep my head high.  That all comes from my parents.
Where do you see your line in 10 years?
I hope Casa Por Vida expands to clothes for men and women.  Jewelry for men as well.  I also want a pet line and so much more!
Reality show vs. Jewelry line - compare the two.  Which would you rather have?
Ha! You can't compare them.  My jewelry line is my passion.  It's what I love to do and can hopefully continue for the rest of my life.  The reality show was fun and I love being part of The Real L Word, but it's not my future nor is it my passion.  It did help me get Casa out there to people and for that I am grateful - but Casa Por Vida comes first, always!


Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment