Monday, August 1, 2011

Color Her Nana: Dylana Suarez


Fashion blogger turned stylist Dylana Suarez of Color Me Nana, is proof that hard work, persistance, and passion is the formula for success in this industry. Starting her career in fashion as an editorial intern at Teen Magazine and as a writer for The Fashion Spot, the 23-year-old is now a resident stylist at Free People. Talk about living the dream!




Tell us a bit about yourself and how you started blogging.

I'm originally from Southern California, in the valley a little bit outside of Los Angeles. I am a fashion blogger, as well as a full time web stylist for Free People. I know work and live in Philadelphia, PA for my job and I absolutely love it! I started blogging because I needed a creative outlet to express my interest in fashion.
 
Do you think blogging has helped in your career so far, and if so, in what way? 

Blogging has definitely helped my career in that it has worked as a smart networking and self-marketing tool. My blog acts as a sort of portfolio of my work, as well as my work ethic, and really how much I love fashion. My blog is what put me in contact with Free People in the first place for a styling and photography gig, and now I am working for them full-time. It was because of my blog that they thought I would make a perfect addition to the Free People styling team. 

Have you always had an interest in styling? 

Yes, especially when it comes to putting together looks based on my personal style, which I have done a lot through blogging. Having a vision of an outfit in my head and wanting to bring that look to life is something I've always loved doing, so my job as a stylist is perfect for me.

What are key pieces every girl (and/or stylist) must own? 

A black leather motorcycle jacket, a chic, fitted blazer, leather ankle boots, a pleated midi skirt, sheer chiffon blouses.

What are your passions? 

My passions are music, writing, design, traveling, learning, and creating. 

What's it like working for Free People?

It's great! I get to work with so many beautiful clothes and dress up gorgeous models every single day. It's definitely a lot more fast-paced than I expected, but that's why I love it!





Who are some of your favorite designers, fashion personalities? 

I love Hannah MacGibbon for Chloe, Pheobe Philo for Celine, Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang, Anna Sui, Alexa Chung, Rachel Bilson, Dree Hemingway, Kate Bosworth, Ashley Olsen, Molly Ringwald, Audrey Hepburn, and so many more!

What are some of your favorite projects you've worked on? 

I loved working on a styling collaboration with H&M and their collaboration with Swedish Hasbeen shoes. It was one of the most fun photo shoots I've ever had the chance to be a part of. And I got the chance to play both stylist and model, and that was such an amazing experience!



What advice do you have for aspiring fashion bloggers who want to work in the fashion industry? 

Never stop believing in yourself. Use your blog not only as a hobby, but as a tool to network within the fashion industry and to show off what you know and love about fashion. Keep following your dreams and your heart. 

Where do you see your career going in the future? 

I see my career in the fashion industry growing and growing. I love styling, but I would also like to branch out into other things, such as marketing and magazine writing. I definitely want to continue developing my blog, and being able to pursue many different projects at once. 


Photos: Color Me Nana

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment