Friday, June 17, 2011

Ask Joey: Have You Seen an Agent Yet?


There is a theme in this week's questions, and it is the question that I normally get; "Can you look over my portfolio?" I can look over your portfolio, but most importantly, have you seen an agent yet? Or better yet, have you tried calling them, scheduling an appointment, mailing them your portfolio or emailing them your portfolio?
I see a lot of people who claim they want to be models, but do nothing to make it happen, besides taking some photos of themselves. It takes a lot more than a handful of photographs to make it in this business. You need to see your local agents.
I stress local because every market is different and not every model can move to a major market like NYC or LA and make it. Start where you are. Seek out the advice of a local agency; see if you can branch out from there.
I would be interested in having you look at my portfolio. Any suggestions to book better work would be great!
 Do you have an agent? You should!
Your look is very edgy/editorial and I love the pics you have in your book. You asked me, "how to book better work." My suggestion is for you to take some photos of yourself less edgy more commercial, if that is possible.
Whenever you are seeking representation, you don't want to pinhole yourself with one look. You want to show that you can appeal to both markets - especially in today's market. Clients tend to type cast and say, 'You are too editorial.' You have to prove that you are versatile, that you can adjust your look.
I am new into the modeling world- so if you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!
First of all, you have great eyes!
You have a great look for TV and commercial print modeling. You moving to LA in August puts you in a good place. Be aware that the competition is tough out there. You will need more of a variety of pics. You should be continually testing, adding and deleting from your book. Plus, you will have to work on your acting skills in order to compete in this market.
What's your advice for me? I would love to be a model, but the problem is I live in Tucson, AZ.
You have a good look, but you live outside of any major markets except for Phoenix. You need more photos - more fashion photos. Take some photos of yourself in suits and get out of those sneakers. If you want this career, then you need to hook up with some professionals on MWN and get going!
Hi Joey, have a look at my portfolio. I would love your advice!
I can't believe you don't have an agent; you must have, you have a great look and your photos work!
The only ones I would possibly eliminate are the pics of you with all the other girls. They only show off your legs and you have better single shots that do that. Plus this portfolio is yours, so make the focus yourself.
I would also take out these:
You have three photos with that same dress and the same background and these two are not as strong as the other one.
You can leave this one in, but would say take it out.
 
Replace those photos with some new ones, of you in more sporty attire and throw some business attire in there in as well. Then get to LA and find an agent!
In the meantime,
Have a successful day!
JOEY
Follow me on Twitter @thejoeyhunter
* Have a question for me? Ask away on my ModelWire Network profile. www.modelwirenetwork.com/joeyhunter

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment