Friday, June 24, 2011

Ask Joey: Please Get More Specific


Guys, I keep getting the same questions every week. Can you critique my portfolio?
First of all, I haven't seen you in person, so I don't know what you really look like. All I can see is what your pictures make you look like. It would also be nice to know if these are your first pictures or if these pictures have been piling up over the years.
Basically, how long have you been modeling or trying to model?
So, I am just looking at photos trying to figure out what would sell you as a model. Help me help you by at least saying 'These are my first photos, what do you think?' or 'I have been modeling for X amount of years, what do you think of my portfolio?' Also, it helps if you would say if you have seen an agent and what they told you, whether it was good news or bad.
Knowing that information helps me so I have a better knowledge the type of direction you need from me. Regardless, I can tell from your pics and stats, if you are the fashion type or commercial type. Sometimes if I like someone so much I will say, 'Why don't you have an agent?'
I will try to be more direct with my answers, more than an agent will. But you also need to be more direct.

I am currently going to Southwestern University in Georgetown TX. I am studying pre-med. I am a VERYYYY determined person and have always been a "just do it" type of girl. I want to make sure I am doing all that I can to make my goals happen. I would LOVE any critiques or pointers. I will be in New York for most of July and therefore am also wondering if there is anything I can do to promote myself while I am there. (Of course I'll bring many copies of portfolios)
I also would love some help on getting agencies to still look at my portfolio past the first page where they see my height!

Elyse
Thank you for the specific questions. You have a terrific commercial look and of course NY is a good place of you to go out and see agents. Right now you need to be doing your research.Forget about going to any Fashion Agencies like Ford, Next, and Elite. You need to find TV/Commercial agencies to reach out to. Agencies like that won't be turned off by your height because you seem pretty and perky, at least that's what I get from your photos. In commercial modeling, it is all about personality.Go to ModelWire's Fashion Directory and start going to agencies' websites. Find out what they are looking for: when are their open calls and if they take submissions. You may even want to call them and see if they will set up a meeting with you.When you get back to Texas, start looking for agencies near your college. A lot more commercial agencies are popping up in Texas.
Please take a look at my portfolio and website. Let me know what you think. I'm looking for paid jobs but can't seem to find any. http://beretaybeauty.com/

Assista
Before you can get paid jobs, you need a decent portfolio. You are a long way from presenting yourself for paying jobs. You really need to test a lot more. I am not saying you are not right for this business, but your portfolio feels like you just started modeling. Though I was surprised you have a much wider variety of photos on your website's portfolio, make sure you share them on here. You should also start meeting with your local agencies, get their feedback and make sure they are Commercial agencies. Getting an agent is the key to getting paid jobs.

I am an up and coming model trying to work my way into the modeling industry. Is there is any advice you could give me based on my portfolio or any other tips you may have?
Also, do you think I have the look for modeling? What would be the best place as far as agencies go that I could go for? I'm from Philadelphia and a lot of people tell me there's not much here, so if I could ask for some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

kahi-1
At 5'9", you are considered more TV/Commercial than Fashion. There are quite a few commercial agencies in Philadelphia that you should check out, plus you are just a train ride away from NYC - so don't get down on your location.As for your portfolio, I would eliminate all of those trying to be edgy photos. Especially this one:
kahi-2
You look scary for no reason.You need a more conventional look - especially if you are trying to get representation. You have some nice and clean photos in your portfolio, like the photo I chose to introduce you with. Take more of photos like that.

I am just starting in the business and there is still a lot I don't know. I want to get into "on camera commercial" and "hosting", but it has been very hard for me to find an agent/agency. Do you have any tips, advices or way you could help me take the next step in my career?

marina
I like you and I think you have great Commercial look. You seem like you have a lot of energy, at least that's what I get from your portfolio. You live in NYC which is full of agents and managers that you should be seeing.Have you gone out to any agencies? Let me know who have you met with in NYC. I would be very interested to know who has turned you down and who has given you some positive feedback. Please get back to I would like to help.

Heads up everyone, I will be taking the next two weeks off from the blog. Going to enjoy the holiday and rest.
In the meantime,
Have a successful day!
JOEY
Follow me @thejoeyhunter
*Have a question for me? Ask away on my ModelWire Network profile http://www.modelwirenetwork.com/joeyhunter

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment