Friday, April 15, 2011

Ask Joey: My Client’s Hat

Today, I had to put on my client's hat. I had questions from a photographer, hair stylist, model and a plus size model. I have never been a photographer's agent or a stylist's agent. When I don't know models' sizes, I can't really give them any advice as an agent. So I had to look at all of their portfolios more like a client reviewing their portfolios.
As for the photographer, she is very artistry, nothing commercial about her, but her work is amazing. As for the hair stylist, there was no focus; it looked and felt more like a fashion photographer's portfolio. As for the models, I didn't know their height or their dress sizes so I was at a loss. I had to be realistic with the plus size model; if she hadn't broken into a small market, it would've been hard to imagine her breaking into a big city market, where the competition is much fiercer.
Just trying to be honest here folks.
Marisa Howenstine
I would love for you to review my portfolio. You can view a sampling of my work at www.marisahowenstine.com.
WOW! Your work is way out there! Your photos are productions in themselves. It is obvious you put in a lot of time to produce them. I think they belong in a gallery. I can't give you any direction although you are very talented and I am very impressed with your work. Can't wait to see your next production.

MaryKateKoons
I'm new to LA and am pursuing modeling/acting career, but I'm so lost! Just trying to find work and build up my resume. I came across ModelWire Network through LA Casting and I love it! Do you have any advice for me? I feel so out of the loop!
Mary Kate, don't beat yourself up, you have a nice look. I really can't point in the right direction because I have no idea what your sizes are. But I can tell you that your look is more commercial print than it is high fashion.
What you need to focus on is getting more casual photos in your portfolio. Start browsing on MWN for a solid commercial photographer, check out their portfolio and see if they showcase the type of photos you need in your book. Always research the people before you work with them. This site makes it easy for that.

Brandie Jene
I'm trying to break into plus modeling and I'm working on my portfolio. My questions are about representation and market. I've submitted to most every agency here in SF and no callbacks with the exception of one, but only for fit, and even then, I'm too petite for most of their clients.

I've met other 'working' plus models who've moved here from NYC, who take one look at me and say with some certainty that I'm in the wrong market altogether.
What are your thoughts on that? I get that there's not much of a plus market in the Bay Area - but in regard to the look that I represent, am I a better fit in NYC?

I would really like to comment on this question more, but I need to know your height and sizes. I must have that information first before I can really answer.
I call tell you that you are going to have a hard time breaking into a big market like NYC if you haven't broken into a smaller market like SF. The bigger the market, fiercer the competition is.
I would love to continue this question when I know your sizes. Keep on me, I want to help.

David Harrington
I have been working on my portfolio and have sent it off to some agencies and got very little response. I would love to get feedback from someone about what I need to do to my portfolio.
The only suggestion I have is to feature hair more in your photos. Right now, your photos in your portfolio take away from what you're selling. It looks more like a fashion photographer's portfolio than a hair stylist's portfolio.
I say redo your portfolio with a ton more hair shots. Team up with a great beauty photographer. Tell them the focus needs to be on the hair.

Did you agree with my advice? Let me know.

In the meantime,
Have a successful day!
JOEY
Follow me on Twitter @thejoeyhunter

* Have a question for me? Ask away in my ModelWire Network profile

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment