Friday, February 4, 2011

Ask Joey: We All Need To Know Your Sizes & Stats

Hope you all like the new releases that ModelWire Network just put out last week. Keep in mind that with every release, there will be the occasional issues on the system that occur, but I can assure you that the ModelWire Network team is working hard to smooth everything out.

Some of you have noticed that the sizes and stats are sometimes not showing up. I noticed as well because all of my questionnaires this week had either no or barely any sizes & stats filled out. I can't give as much guidance when I don't know models' sizes. If you are reading this and you haven't filled out your sizes & stats yet and you are a model, then know that you are making everyone's job a lot more difficult. Go to your profile and fill them out right away.

Lynn Hacking, a MWN member, said, "No modeling agency will consider you without first considering your stats - you should post your: height, hair color, eye color, bust/chest, waist (F), hips (F), shirt (M), suit (M), shoe size - if you can rise above the rest of the pack, you can be successful at any height and body style."


Larejia

Do you honestly think I have what it takes to become a household named model? I want to leave LA so bad, but I don't know what steps to take or who to talk to. I have a medium size portfolio that you can look at. I would love your advice.

Also, is it true that the real money is in advertisement for models? I am willing to up and leave in 2011 to another country to really fulfill my modeling career.

Like I just said, it is very hard to evaluate anyone when I don't know their sizes and stats. You could be 2 feet or 8 feet, for all I know. But by looking at your portfolio, you belong in NYC. I feel you have a more editorial look. There are more fashion magazines in NYC, which is why more editorial models are based in NYC.

I would start by sending your book to various agencies in NYC, see what they say. NYC could be your stepping stone to Paris, Milan, and so forth.

You are right. Most money is in advertisement and editorial work is what gets you the big advertisement jobs.


Kyle Bowers

I am curious if agents would rather want me send my portfolio to their email, or should I try and somehow miraculously get an interview? I would also love to work for Ford Models, any chance of getting an interview?

If you are a model starting out, then you definitely need to set up meetings with different agencies. It is important to meet with agents, so they can see your personality. Personality is very important in this business.

On a weekly basis, most agencies have what they call an "Open Call", which lasts for an hour or two. It is open to new models, so they can show their portfolios to agency personnel. Go to those and bring your book. You are guaranteed to meet with someone on those days.


Lawrence Rush

I would appreciate your feedback on my profile. Also, can you recommend any link where I could send it for models around 50 years of age?

I don't know of any other link or website besides ModelWire Network. I would advise you to find an agent to represent you.

You look like you are in good shape, but I think you can use some new photos in your portfolio. So start using this website to its fullest potential and network with some photographers. Then, start hitting up the commercial agencies who will love how multi-talented you are.


Tam

I'm 45 years old and this year decided to seriously begin my transition into commercial print modeling. I just took a level one on camera class and noticed that several of the students were complaining about the lack of work and the extreme slow down in the industry, particularly in Chicago. Do you see improvements in 2011 and is there anything I can do to improve my chances on getting more bookings? I have representation in Chicago, Milwaukee and Ohio.

You have a nice commercial print look and I admire that at your age, you are seeking out your dream and being proactive by taking classes. However, your classmates have a right to complain. Times are tough everywhere, and to be honest, your age bracket for modeling is a tough one to get steady work in.

You are competing against models, who have been modeling for years and then transitioned into 'lifestyle' modeling and actors who have done the same. I don't see it getting any better in 2011.

Stay on top of your agents. Don't wait for them to call you, you call them.


Natasha Fleming

I am very interested in becoming an International model. How can I become one if I don't live in the USA? Where can I send my portfolio?

If you a have representation in Costa Rica, then they should be introducing you to agencies here in the USA and in Europe.

Agents work with other agents and in different countries. Agents will call other agencies to see if a certain model is available in their location. If they like your look, they want to test or see clients in their country. The key is if you live in Costa Rica and are represented, then they need to act as your 'Mother' agency. Mother agent submits you to other markets and/or other agencies to work with.

You also need to promote yourself on MWN. We have agencies from all round the world looking for new talent here on MWN.


I now have a Twitter account. Follow me @thejoeyhunter

Bear with me as I figure it all out.


In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY


* Have a question for me? Click here to go to my ModelWire Network profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment