Friday, December 17, 2010

Ask Joey: Be Yourself in Your Photos

What's happening!

I've been asked to critique a lot of people's photos and portfolios, all of them asking what I think and feel.

For the people who are starting out:

Try to be as natural as possible. Don't pose; it always looks like you are trying. What you need to try to do is show off what kind of personality you have. Your photos will always look more inviting.


Katherine

I am looking to see if you have any advice on my photos and if you feel they represent me well.

You photograph well, but if you are questioning if your photos represent you, then it is clear that something is missing. You say that you were a track star and basketball player. If so, then you would feel very comfortable wearing athletic clothes. Take photos of you running, jumping, and playing basketball.

Let's see more of a connection between what you do best and your photographs.

If you were a track star, then use that to make connections with sportswear companies. There is a lot of money in endorsements. In business, you have got to use what has served you best over the years. Why waste all the training and fun you had? Channel that into a different direction.


Khalil Lewis

Can u please look at my work, and tell me you think. What do I need to do?

You have a very good look, and your book is well-rounded. I don't have much advice for you because you already are headed in the right direction.

What you need to do is get out there and find an agent. Though the market in Philadelphia is a bit small, it is still a strong market. Find a local agent there. Check out the fashion directory on our parent site, ModelWire.

Get proactive and start making some phone calls!


Beryl

I have a little experience in the modeling industry and just moved from Kenya to America two years ago. I would greatly appreciate it if you reviewed my portfolio and gave me your feedback. I am trying to figure out what part of the modeling industry my look would fit into.

I like your book. I think your photos look really good, but you better recheck your hip size.

In your photos, you do not look like a plus-size model, but if your hips are really 38.5", then you need to reinvent yourself. Start taking more commercial print shots.

As of now, your photos look high fashion and your book has a very editorial feel about it. However, the standard hip size for fashion and editorial models is 34". Therefore, you are not going to fit any of the designer clothes. It is time for you to change directions.


Have a happy holiday! See you all in the New Year!

JOEY


* Have a question for me? Click here to go to my ModelWire Network profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment