Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ask Joey: How does a makeup artist get an agent?

What's happening!

D. FONTA messaged me this week asking, "Can you tell me how to go about getting signed with an agent?"

First of all, D. Fonta, you have talent as a makeup artist. I went to your MWN profile to check out your work, and you have potential. You need to show more of your work, but what I saw, I liked.

The first step is putting together your portfolio. According to your profile, you say you live in Philadelphia. Therefore, you should find a local agency in your area that represents makeup artists.

Once you have found some local representation in Philadelphia, the next step is to find representation in the New York area, which is the biggest market in the United States. Make sure your portfolio is looking good before you do this. Digitally send your book, and then follow up with a phone call and try to get yourself an interview. I always found that makeup artists that I've dealt with in the past have great personalities. I hope you have a good one.

While you are prepping yourself, you need to be constantly working with new talent and new photographers. This means you need to be volunteering your services and even approaching modeling agencies about working on their test shoots.

When you are ready to start looking for representation, put together a list of the agencies you are going to approach, feel free to send the list to me. I will personally look it over to see if I can give you further input.

For the time being, make sure you are constantly updating your ModelWire Network profile because the agencies that are on ModelWire have the ability to scout for talent within the site. So update your "About Me" and your photos because you don't know when an agent will be screening your page. This goes for all MWN members seeking representation!

Best of luck, D. Fonta, and any other artists seeking representation.

In the meantime…

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Comments
2 Comments

2 comments:

Post a Comment